Saturday, October 31, 2009

finally coming out of the flu fog....

Well, this was supposed to be a fitness blog, but this week it is turning into a sick blog. Last Sunday night over dinner our 6 year old remarked nonchalantly that he was not feeling well, and a quick temperature check revealed 103 fever. Into bed he went, and stayed the next 2 days, sleeping pretty much all day and night. If you have an active 6 year old you know that they must be really sick to stay in bed!

Thank goodness for my parents, who stayed home with him. Tuesday night though I felt a tweak in my throat and just didn't feel good - well, the next morning I had over 103 fever! So my parents had 2 patients to take care of, while my husband was trying his best to stay healthy, since he had a crazy week.

We ended up taking Sky to the pediatrician on Friday, since he started developing some secondary infection (he has mild asthma). Sure enough, they confirmed the flu (they don't test for H1N1 or seasonal anymore), plus some bacterial stuff on top. I called in to translate, the the doc questioned all my symptoms and ordered me to stay in bed and drink plenty of fluids, since they were certain I had the flu as well.

I have never had the flu, also never had a flu shot in my live (I am not a big believer in too many shots and worry about the side effects of the shot more then the flu), so I knew I had it. Today is day 4, and this afternoon I am finally feeling a little more normal again. Enough to get up and sit at the laptop for a while, waiting for trick-or-treaters to come around to at least get a glimpse at the party!

I am a little worried about loosing a lot of strength in those days and are eager to get back to a workout. Actually, right now is the first time I can even think about working out, to be honest.... I know I will wait another day or two, but can't stop wondering about how much muscle I am loosing in my lethargy. I am not worried having had too much food, since all I could handle was some apple slices, some joghurt, a few slices of challah bread with butter, and tons of herbal tea and grapefruit juice (gotta get that Vitamin C!!).

Again, a big Thank you to my parents, who have been absolute life savers this week, I can only pray that they and hubby are not getting it now! Hopefully I will be back at work on Monday, I am going on a business trip Wed through Friday, so I need to be fit again! And back to working out as well, will keep you posted on how it is going!

But now, back to bed.... hot water bottle on belly.....

2 comments:

  1. take care... I've found when I am really fit that I manage to keep the fitness for longer when I am unwell. Don't rush your recovery, neither back to work nor back to workouts. Real flu is nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that you and your son were sick. I agree with Natasha - take it slow and make sure you are recovered before trying to get back to exercising. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete